Step 02 : Installation of BolehVPN-GUI
BolehVPN-GUI is our customized program to connect to our VPN servers and retrieve our configuration files automatically. This eliminates the need to manually add/edit the configuration files as you did with the OpenVPN-GUI client.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR WINDOWS XP SP3 USERS: There is a known bug that causes the VPN connection not to work properly for XP SP3 users (earlier versions are fine). Please apply this Microsoft HotFix before proceeding with this installation if you're using Windows XP SP3.
These instructions are for Windows users (XP/Vista/7/8)
- First of all, download BolehVPN GUI 2.2.1.This is universal for both x64 and x86 operating systems. Some antiviruses may detect this as a virus after you install but it is a false positive.
Note to China/Iran/highly restricted country users:You may need to download BolehVPN GUI 2.2.1b which has some tweaks made to it to get over their heavy filtering firewalls.
- Run the executable file that you have just downloaded. If you have User Account Control (UAC) on, click Yes.
- Once this is done, please run the GUI by selecting yes. Otherwise, double click on the BolehVPN desktop shortcut or launch it via Start > All Programs > BolehVPN > BolehVPN
- At this point, another UAC dialogue will open, asking for permission to make modifications. Click Yes. This will enable Windows to create a VPN route which requires elevated Windows administrator privileges.
- You will now be prompted to enter in your username and password. This is the same username and password that you use to login into our order page.
- By default, the configuration files and certificates will be updated on every startup. This can be changed easily by going to the Settings tab. Here you can configure the GUI to your liking.
- Once it has successfully updated you will see a dropdown list with multiple VPN options. If some reason, the "Connect using" box remains greyed out and stuck at "Login ...", please contact us at support[a]bolehvpn[dot]net and we will get you sorted out.
- For starters, you can try connect via FullyRouted-All to see if there are any glitches. Select FullyRouted-All from the list and then click Connect.
- A prompt will appear if you had not installed any TAP adaptors prior to this. Please click on Install to proceed.
- Give it a few moments and congratulations, you should now be connected!
A log of a successful connection:
- Also, you can also access the client via the bottom right-hand status bar/system tray for your ease of use.
- Now before you go on, please click Disconnect and proceed to the next page to learn what each different configurations do as they work pretty differently!!
For users who do not wish to use BolehVPN-GUI and wish to use the default OpenVPN-GUI click here.
Next: What do the Different Configurations do?
Back to Introduction